Miami International University of Art & Design, LLC
Student Success Advisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: The responsibility of the Student Success Advisor is to serve as the primary student contact and assist in completion of the student’s educational experience at an Art Institute campus. The role will provide guidance on all financial and academic policies / questions for students and their families, including federal and state aid, alternative loans, scholarship inquiries and all other available funding options. Through the use of consistent and effective outreach, the Advisor will build a strong, supportive relationship with their students to assist in the process of financial planning, course identification, registration, career planning and academic goal setting. The Advisor plays an integral role in the success of new and continuing students as they seek to complete their educational pursuits. This role is a campus based position.
Incumbent must assure that The Art Institutes (Aii) philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
- Assist students/parents with FAFSA renewal and the accurate completion and collection of all necessary documentation. Prepare, review and revise student funding estimates as necessary. Ensure that all estimates are compliant with federal and state regulations as well as Art Institute policies.
- Review and discuss financial obligations with students/parents providing payment options to cover any remaining balance of cost owed by the student. Setup and revise Tuition Option payment plans as needed.
- Ensure all financial aid has been added to the student information system and certified for disbursement upon confirmation of eligibility. Consistently monitor awards as student progresses to ensure funds are disbursed timely and accurately.
- Assists VA students with their benefits and questions as needed. Ensure that VA students are fully aware of their responsibilities to the school and that the student’s school file includes all copies of VA paperwork Apprise SCO of any veteran with potential benefit changes or concerns that could impact the student receiving their benefits timely each quarter.
- Maintain consistently clean files shown through Training Assessments for Compliance with Federal/State regulations, school policies and procedures. Less than a 10% error rate per term and less than a 5% potential liability rate for the year. Pass one certification per calendar year. Demonstrate proficiency in timely document collection and repack processing as defined by the Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- In collaboration with Academic Affairs leadership maintain direct contact with assigned students including, but not limited to monitoring attendance and academic progress; discussing and supporting the student as he/she resolves academic issues that occur in the classroom environment; informing and appraising students of available resources and working with students having trouble academically or in other areas, helping them to develop and implement student actions (success) plans.
- Demonstrates clear understanding related to academic programs, college policies and procedures, and federal regulations. Comprehension of /and ability to explain the Student Handbook and College Catalog. Responds to inquiries from students and/or their advocates regarding academic policies and procedures, degree programs, major options, career, and education goals, utilizing knowledge of institution policies and procedures. Partnering with the Dean of Student Success on challenging issues or concerns.
- Communicates with students effectively through both routine and non-routine email contact -including social media, BrightSpace portal, texting system and traditional phone calls.
- Assists students, as needed with course registration including web-registration, reviewing course selection, assisting with forms and web requests for registration overrides and curriculum variances.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports To: Dean of Student Success
Interacts With: Students, Department Chairs, Program Coordinators, FT Faculty, Registrar
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum three years’ experience in position providing support to students at the college level (i.e. student advising, financial aid, student affairs etc.)
- Experience preferred in the educational process of enrollment, supporting and engaging with students representing a diverse population
- Excellent communication and virtual presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Proven skills in effective communication within a virtual environment.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills. Ability to work effectively in a remote environment.
- Strong computer literacy skills with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to interact effectively as either a leader or as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments, multiple priorities, multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to address training needs for all student facing functions (admissions, student service, academics and finance)
Environment: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description
Notice: The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
The Arts Institutes International, LLC and its subsidiaries embrace diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, without regard to sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), race, color, national origin, age, marital or parental status, disability, genetic information, religion, veteran status, or status in any group protected by applicable laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, transfer, leave, compensation, and training.