Miami International University of Art & Design, LLC
International Student Advisor
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Summary: Responsible for international student services provided to the school through identification of constituent needs and providing solutions. Primary emphasis will focus on the maintenance of school and enrolled student’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) compliance while simultaneously supporting the admissions effort to continue to enroll new international students.
Incumbent must assure that The Arts Institutes International, LLC (Aii) philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
- Conduct appointments and subsequent follows ups, with nonimmigrant alien students, and provide immigration-focused regulatory guidance, technical assistance, and counseling to students regarding the change of nonimmigrant alien status on a variety of issues.
- Ensure the follow up with nonimmigrant students and the completion of the admissions file in a timely fashion for acceptance to the school. Upon matriculation will also collect documentation, as required by federal regulations, from nonimmigrant alien students. Will then issue all necessary SEVIS documentation for maintenance of valid student nonimmigrant alien status and the timely completion of the school’s student nonimmigrant alien files.
- Collect, review, authorize and process immigration documents from nonimmigrant alien students in need of certain immigration benefits (i.e. extensions of stay, practical training applications) and complete all federally mandated technical and manual processing within the timeframe permitted by regulation. Adhere to all local, state, federal, accreditation and institution rules and regulations.
- In conjunction with the Admissions and Academic Affairs departments at the school, complete on-going auditing of new and continuing student files to maintain compliance with SEVIS requirements. Communicate regularly with and works in consort with the Principle Designated School Official (PDSO) to resolve all SEVIS-related matters.
- Track full-time enrollment for nonimmigrant alien students in order to register these students in SEVIS within 30 days of the start of each quarter.
- Prepare quarterly statistical reports on new and continuing student enrollments (both for SEVIS and Aii) and audit school and SEVIS databases to ensure that campus electronic records properly reflect nonimmigrant status and align with all representations made within SEVIS.
- Consistently participate in the educational and professional development activities provided by Aii.
- Provides support for all Designated School Officials (DSOs) and PDSOs at all campuses by serving as the “subject matter expert”, communicates trends or USCIS/SEVIS changes to campus leadership.
- Provides quarterly trainings on International F-1 related topics to students at all Art Institute campuses and DSOs on maintaining the F-1, OPT, CPT and all International compliance topics.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports To: Miami system Dean of Student Success; dotted line reporting to Deans of Student Success in the Atlanta and Houston systems
Interacts With: Students, staff, faculty, and outside agencies
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required with a Master’s degree preferred.
- Three years experience working with international students, and at least one year experience preferably in a post-secondary environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional customer service, interpersonal, organizational, and supervisory skills. d) Strong computer and analytical skills.
- Work effectively as a team member to ensure that departmental goals are met while following required SEVIS guidelines and standards.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to understand student development issues in post-secondary education
- Ability to work independently with good time management skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description Notice: The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. The Arts Institutes International, LLC and its subsidiaries embrace diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, without regard to sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), race, color, national origin, age, marital or parental status, disability, genetic information, religion, veteran status, or status in any group protected by applicable laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, transfer, leave, compensation, and training.