The Miami International University of Art & Design
Who We Are!
Our campus is part of a system of Art Institute locations that provide an important source for design, media, fashion and culinary art professionals. We offer programs that focus on applied arts in creative areas such as graphic design, media arts and animation, culinary arts, photography, digital filmmaking & video production, interior design, audio production, fashion design, game art & design, baking & pastry, and fashion marketing. Not all program areas and degree levels are offered at all schools. Each Art Institute school is licensed by the state in which it is located and accredited by accrediting bodies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Art Institutes offer associate, bachelor, and master’s degree programs, as well as certificate and diploma programs.
Benefits We Offer!
The Arts Institutes is committed to offering competitive salary and benefits, which may include:
- Medical Insurance / Prescription Drug Plan
- Vision Care / Dental Plan
- 401(K) Plan
- Life Insurance
- PTO / 12 Paid holidays
Summary: Under the supervision of the Dean of Academic Affairs and in collaboration with the Director of Library Services, the Librarian ensures school library functions and services are appropriate and properly planned, implemented, and managed. The Librarian assists the school community in use of the library materials and resources through appropriate and meaningful information literacy and instruction programs as well as reference and research support. The Librarian assists the school community with use of academic support services and technology including tutoring, assessments, student portals, learning management systems, and others.
Incumbent must assure that The Arts Institutes International, LLC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
- Plan, coordinate, conduct, and assess library and information literacy instruction sessions and programs.
- Provide reference and research assistance to school community.
- Assist school community use of academic support and technology platforms and services including tutoring, student portal and others.
- Author, implement, evaluate and update school library policies and procedures in close collaboration with the Dean of Academic Affairs and Director of Learning Resources.
- Maintain library in an orderly manner; perform regular inventory, weed materials, and engage in minor catalog updates when requested.
- Process and maintain print periodicals, tracking receipt and filing claims for missing issues.
- Receive, inspect and oversee shelving of materials purchased.
- Inform Director of Library Services of school community suggested library purchases.
- Collaborate with Dean of Academic Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness staff in compiling and submitting information and reports for both internal and external (accreditation) purposes.
- Serve on school committees in order to promote, share, and gather information regarding library and related support services.
- Collaborate with school IT to oversee library hardware and software, including AV equipment.
- Aid Dean of Academic Affairs in selecting, training, and supervising Student Library Assistants when applicable.
- Administer academic placement and certification tests when applicable.
- Conduct long range planning related job function.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports To: Dean of Academic Affairs
Supervises: Student Workers (No. # of Direct Reports varies by school)
Interacts With: Director of Learning Resources, faculty, students, administration and staff
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Master’s Degree in Library, Information Science, or related from an ALA accredited school At least one year experience working in a post-secondary institution library.
- Previous experience delivering instruction preferred
- Knowledge of subjects taught by Art Institute system
- Knowledge of library and educational technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Superior organizational, prioritization, and self-motivation skills
- Strong computer skills
- Work effectively a team member to insure that system and school goals are met
- Ability to effectively teach information literacy skills
- Comfort level with expanding and contracting sphere of influence as required at times by the role
- Ability to frequently lift up to 15 pounds